What is Safety Management Systems?
Safety Management Systems (SMS) is a global, systematic and standardized approach to managing safety risks.
Similar systems are used to managing critical areas in organizations that use complexes systems in their day to day activities, requiring a high level of quality in areas such as security, occupational health, environment, etc.
The SMS for civil aviation services providers and the Brazilian Civil Aviation Safety Programme (PSO-BR) will integrate the risk management into modern management concepts to ensure proactive safety.
SMS emphasizes safety management as a fundamental business process to be considered as important as all other aspects of business management.
The key-processes of an SMS are:
- Report on Safety Issues and Events: a process of data and information acquisition related to safety.
- Identification of hazards: a set of activities aimed to identify dangers related to the organization.
- Risk management: a standardized process for evaluation and definition of actions to risk control.
- Performance measurement: management tools developed to evaluate if the safety objectives of the organization were achieved.
- Safety guarantee: a set of activities used to standardize the delivery of services according to the criteria of performance established.